wp-Typography is now a one-stop-shop for improved web typography in WordPress. It features the following capabilities (including granular control):
- Spacing control, including: gluing values to units, widow protection, and forced internal wrapping of long URLs & email addresses.
- Intelligent character replacement, including smart handling of: quote marks ( “foo” ), dashes ( foo – bar ), ellipses ( … ), trademarks ( ™ ), math symbols ( 1024×768 ), fractions ( 12⁄23 ), and ordinal suffixes ( 3rd )
- CSS hooks for styling: ampersands (class “amp”), acronyms (class “caps”), numbers (class “numbers”), initial single quotes (class “quo”), and initial double quotes & guillemets (class “dquo”).
wp-Typography has the following requirements:
- the host server must run PHP 5 or later
- text must be encoded UTF-8
- all markup must be valid xHTML, specifically:
- every element must be closed,
- every attribute must have a value enclosed in quotes, and
- tag names and attributes must be lowercase.
Additionally, the core functionality of wp-Typography (completely segregated from the WordPress plugin requirements) has been released as a standalone project, ready for integration with any other PHP based content management system. For more information, please visit the PHP Typography project page.
Your feedback is much appreciated. How can we make this plugin better? Email us at email@example.com, or leave a comment below.